Translate Away!

Monday, June 9, 2014

The Rating System

So, one thing that I want to make clear before I really start something on this blog will be the rating of how I scale a book, a movie, or maybe even a fashion trend. So, this is going to be the whole system.
For books that I generally liked and didn't make me want to burn every page out of the book, I will have a rating of one to five stars. Here is what the star will look like:
So basically, one star means: This is a standard rating for a standard book.
Two stars mean: This book was good, but I'll skip rereading it.
Three stars mean: This was a pretty okay book, so I'll recommend it.
Four stars mean: Wow, I am very impressed. I thoroughly enjoyed this and I will lend this to people that I really like.
Five stars mean: This. Book. Was. Perfect. In. Every. Way. There was nothing wrong with this book.
Generally, I will try not to give out that many four stars, and five stars will be unheard of. Just because a book has three stars doesn't mean that I didn't love them, quite the contrary. However, as a book critic, I have to be (not to point out the obvious) critical. So, even if I really like a book, I may have to give it three stars, just for the fact that I don't really want to give out four star books. So please try to keep that in mind.
The next part of my rating system that I want to do is to make a sort-of anti-star system (all of the credit goes to my older brother for this idea.) So for the anti-star system, I'm going to use a lit candle, to show that I want to BURN THIS BOOK! So here you go: 
One flame means: This book just missed the star expectations. Sorry book.
Two flames mean: Yeah, this book was bad. Try to avoid it if at all possible.
Three flames mean: Abort. Abort. Abort. No. Stop. Put this book back on the shelf. Abort mission!
Four flames mean: Give this book to a person you hate, telling them that it was awesome and yes, I promise it gets better! (Not.)
Five flames mean: Excuse me, I'm off to go burn every copy of this book and then purge the story line from my memory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment