Translate Away!

Friday, June 20, 2014

Fallen Book Review



Yeah, this book was bad. Try to avoid it if at all possible.
Fallen by Lauren Kate is about a seventeen-year-old girl named Lucinda (also known as Luce) is sent to the Sword & Cross boarding school in Savannah which houses a number of teenage delinquents. Ever since a supernatural accident that killed a boy, Luce is thrown into a world that she doesn't belong in and pulled further and further away from her comfortable life in Georgia. Adding on to her confusion, a mystery is unfurling around her and no one will tell Luce what is going on. It all seems to be revolving around her and the quiet, handsome Daniel Grigori. Daniel seems to be hiding his (and Luce's) past at all costs and continuously pushes Luce away. Can she find out what is going on at Sword & Cross before it's too late and she is killed? 
Okay, that might have been a short, yet misleading, description of Fallen. In actuality, it took me a long time to finish this book. It wasn't until about the end of the book that the story actually started to pick up, and that's what made this book feel longer than it did. I didn't get a chance to enjoy the plot because it was such a slow start and middle and I could barely read a page or two at a time because the book would make me fall asleep. It felt like I was trudging through the pages. The idea for a story was unoriginal and I wound up hating most of the characters and the plot.
Another point that bothered me was how Luce was written. She was acting very obsessive and stalkerish towards the main 'love interest' Daniel. Luce also didn't have any defining features other than she was so confused off how Daniel was so uninterested in her, which was very similar to Bella from Twilight. Luce couldn't do anything to help herself and always had to have someone take care of her when she was in trouble. Also, Luce's inability to make decisions in the story also bothered me. Someone else always had to make decisions for her and she did nothing to help anyone. Luce also only figured out main plot points that I knew from reading the first few chapters. It just annoyed me because I was expecting a stronger female lead in a story.
I personally did not like this story. I give this story two out of five candle flames. There were some parts of this story that were okay enough, but it wasn't enough to save this sinking ship. I recommend that you skip out on this story because it was a waste of my reading time. I definitely will not read the sequel, because to me, it's just was not worth it.

2 comments:

  1. Love the blog!!! I've heard mixed things about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete